Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tofu

Ah, the dreaded tofu. Unless you're a foodie or a vegetarian/vegan, chances are you cringe at the mention of the word. It's because you've never actually had it, or the time you did, you tried eating it plain. Am I right? (It's ok, I thought it was gross too until I made a drastic change in my eating habits!)

Well, I'm here to change your perception! I'm trying out vegetarianism, simply to see if it helps my awkward stomach. But I still crave meat, specifically BBQ (nom!) so I went out to find a BBQ recipe that was vegetarian and satisfied my need for delicious BBQ. Enter, tofu. Below is a recipe for what I like to call Crispy BBQ Tofu! BE ADVISED - the tofu will need to freeze overnight, so plan on two days for this recipe!

Ingredients
16 oz extra firm tofu (one package)
3 tbsp olive oil
1 egg white
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 cup AP flour
1 cup BBQ sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
-Drain tofu and slice into strips (the size of the strips can be to your discretion). Place strips into freezer friendly bag, and freeze overnight.



-Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, mix egg white and BBQ sauce together. This will serve as your egg wash. In another bowl, mix the flour with salt and pepper.  


-Dip the tofu into the egg wash, then into the flour, then place into the hot pan to fry. Make sure to only load the skillet with a few slices to make it easier to flip. Fry each slice for about a minute on each side, and then put onto paper towels to drain.


-Preheat your oven's broiler. Brush tofu slices with more BBQ sauce. Place slices on broiler pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Be sure to watch the slices as they can easily burn! 


Feel free to use the rest of the BBQ sauce as dipping sauce! I found these to look kind of weird, but taste awesome! Unfortunately for me, my stomach can't really handle straight up soy foods, so this may be one of my last tofu recipes. But I'll still be looking for ways to incorporate the ingredient into everyday foods, whether my stomach likes it or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment