Monday, January 2, 2012

Tomato Bread Pudding

Happy 2012!

I hope you all had a great holiday time, full of relaxation and family and friends. I had a great vacation and got lots of cooking goodies for Christmas!! New pots and pans set, a charcoal grill, and my loving boyfriend got me a GREEN KITCHENAID! Oh yeah!


Needless to say, I've been cooking up a storm ever since. I had a lovely ladies night, which I will be posting about soon (I don't have the recipes with me). One item I had at ladies night was bruchetta, and as we didn't use all the ingredients I bought, I had left over tomatoes and half a loaf of bread left. I found this awesome little recipe that's very simple but tasted awesome - Tomato Bread Pudding! (Although I'm not sure why they call it a pudding, it doesn't look like a pudding!)

Ingredients
-5 tomatoes peeled, sliced, and seeded *See note below about pealing
-1/2 french loaf, sliced into small bits
-1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
-1/2 tsp sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-4 tbsp butter

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place pieces of loaf into a greased 9x12 pan. Pour butter on top of bread and mix gently to coat all pieces. 


- Put tomatoes, sugar, and salt in a food processor and pulse until tomatoes are broken down and sugar and salt are fully incorporated. 
- Place tomato mixture on top of the bread pieces. Gently stir to incorporate bread and tomato mixture. 
- Bake for 30 minutes. Take out and top with Parmesan cheese and continue to bake for an additional 10 minutes. 
- Enjoy!

When I originally found this recipe, I was a bit skeptical, but it was so delicious. It's like a deconstructed pizza! Feel free to get creative and add different ingredients!

*Peeling tomatoes
To peel a tomato, score the bottom of the tomatoes with x's.Place tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for about a minute.

Then, take the tomato out and immediately submerge in ice water. Then peel from the x scored on the bottom of tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment